lunes, 4 de agosto de 2008

Watcha gon' do?

This post will be totally different from previous ones, as you can notice, this one will be in English, because I will write about my experience on learning this language. I remember that many years ago I knew nothing about English, I only knew how to say some words(basic colors, some fruits, some numbers) and some phrases and questions like : how are you, what time is it. That was all my poor knowledge. In Peru, it was not so popular to study English, because it was kind of expensive, but in spite of that, I had the chance to study for three years. When I finished I realized that I had learned a lot, that my English was almost perfect, until I traveled to US and I found out that wasn't true at all.

I studied at ICPNA, and I have to say that they got a lot of good teachers and methodology is really good for learning. I remember I had a lot of fun there, I made many friends and it was a lot much better than being at school because my school was only for boys and ICPNA was for boys and girls..you see the difference? But besides that I' ve noticed that I wasn't taught everything about English, here I go: (hope I don't get banned!!)

1. At ICPNA almost all teachers speak the same way. Most of them are peruvian people who learned English here and have never been in US, so they use peruvian-english accent, which means they speak English as a peruvian person, not as a native speaker, not even close. They use the same words (less than 500) and therefore you learn their accent and their words.
This is a very bad point, because americans don't speak the same way. Try to see the difference between a black and a white person, and you'll notice they speak differently.

2. Slangs. What would you do if you hear this: Stop dissin' me!!!...I bet you'll never hear that at ICPNA, or maybe this one: He was trippin' cuz I forgot to give him a message. What!!!.. Slangs are a real headache for students. I still have trouble when I hear stuff like that...:(..There are so many words and expressions to learn that you get tired before you get to use them in real conversations.

3. Contractions. Watcha gon' do?= What are you going to do?..
Native speakers love using these things, and it's ok, because spanish speakers use them too. Instead of saying : vamos a hacer algo...we say: vaun a hacer algo..which is almost the same thing, but they confuse non-native speakers.

4. Ain't no problem man!!!. This word is really tricky: ain't. I can bet you'll never find that on a book at ICPNA. This word is the negative of almost everything, for example:
I'm not going to you party == I ain't going to your party
I have no place to go == I ain't got a place to go
This is not my fault == This ain't my fault
Unbelievable but it's true!!! people speak that way...try to use it in your SAT or TOEFL!!! :D

5. Bad grammar. You spent three of your life to learn to use English correctly and you hear someone saying this: "you was there, ain't you?", or something like this: "he don't know". Some americans speak like that, and it's ok since they understand each other which is the main purpose of communication, ain't it? (isn't it?..:D)

To sum up, here is some advice if you want to master your English skills:
1. Listen to music in English, as much as you can without printing the lyrics please!Try different genres like hip hop, r&b, rock (anything but Jonas' brothers ..lol) and so on.
2. Watch a lot of movies in English without subtitles (english subtitles can be good) or shows like "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air with Will Smith"(it's kinda old but it's my fav) "Friends", and so on.
3. Practice..practice...and practice!!!

Written by: Me

3 comentarios:

el blogger de marte dijo...

That's why you should've studied at CIPUCP xD!
ur powned jeje

richard dijo...

In don't think so. They don't speak like an american even as natives.

Anónimo dijo...

Dear Native Speaker, I'll believe that your English is a high-quality variety deserved to be followed, if u make an English version for A Cocachos Aprendi by Nicomedes Santa Cruz(1958). I'll be browsing by your site for some progress yours in this respect.